Ye Mere Deewanapan Hai I Sophia Abella

Friday, January 8, 2010

Is Valentine's Day a fraud?





For as long as I can remember, Valentine's Day has come and gone like an irritating rash. Lovey-dovey couples slobbering all over each other, blokes feverishly making last-minute dashes to the supermarket flower aisle (in hope of getting some post-Valentine's Day nookie) and whining girlfriends incessantly bitching, tut-tutting and grumbling over the fact their long time beau forgot about the big day or bought them underwear two sizes too big. (Ouch.) Who can stand it?

Not the married folk who scuttle about last minute, hoping to nab that ideal gift for their spouse that screams "I love you!" louder than the pair of socks or that sickly sweet perfume they gave you last year.
Not the newly ensconced couples who vacillate between trying to decide whether to give a gift at all, worrying that anything too icky might send the other screaming "I need my space!" even before they've met the folks.
And not the singletons who complain the pressure on them to find a date in less than 24 hours has worsened their current state of loneliness and dejection ...

"Men think we're all about 'girl power' and will shun buying us roses or opening car doors for us," writes Miss Romance to me in email. "Is it our fault? Have we led them to believe we're not that into the romance stuff?"

While at first glance Miss Romance may seem like a neurotic aberration, the trouble is that when you've finally found someone you actually like enough to give up your Sunday morning yoga class to help them nurse their vodka-induced hangover, or have learnt how to cook all their favourite meat dishes even though you're a vegetarian, you hope and pray they'll somehow show their appreciation in one romantic form or another.
And you can't just blame brash women for killing romance. How about Blackberrys? PDAs? Text messaging? (Virtual roses don't count as romantic, I'm afraid). Yep, perhaps it's the techno-gadgets that have caused us such strife!

What you've said about loving or hating Valentine's Day so far:
"I'm single but I like to watch the men who see flower stalls on the way into work only then realizing they forgot to order."
"I hate valentine's day because it reminds me I'm loveless and I love it because it reminds me of how great love can be ..."
"Love: Everyone in the mood. Expectation in the air. Curvy women looking fine. Perfume. Chocolate.
Hate: Tacky commercial merchandise. People take advantaging. Being alone means failure."
"Japanese custom is for women to buy candies for their men on Valentines day to show their 'appreciation'. How awesome that tables have turned!"
"The best part is when your boyfriend buys you the wrong sized lingerie (either top or bottom) and you have to exchange it!"
"It's the only day my mates can't tease me for being so in love."

Wish you all an advance Happy Valentines!




No comments:

Post a Comment