Ye Mere Deewanapan Hai I Sophia Abella

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Does Monogamy truly exist?


The other day I met a guy at a pub who told me that he had a real problem with monogamy. "I find it really difficult to remain monogamous with any girl I date," he said. And, apparently, it's not just him. "It's biological for men to want to spread their seed," he continued. "That's why so many men go cycling." Cycling? "Yep, it's to get those urges out of our system by pounding the bike on the street."
While it's obviously not the case for all men (can't some blokes fancy a little exercise without being accused of wanting to bonk someone?), I felt the urge to dig a little deeper into the topic. And what I found was quite different to what we usually discuss in this column ...

A guy by the name of F. Roger Devlin, who's written essays on gender dynamics and the sexual revolution, says that it's not actually the guys who always want to be non-monogamous, but it's actually a biological imperative of women ...

Yep, we can stop blaming the DNA of gents for their wandering eye because, by his reckoning, it's more accurate to say that the female sexual instinct is to be hypergamous. In other words women only want to mate with a man who is at the top of the food chain in terms of wealth, job status, educational level and social standing. (This as opposed to men who tend to value physical attractiveness in a woman above all else.)
"Men have the tendency to seek sexual variety," writes Devlin. "But women have simple tastes in the manner of Oscar Wilde: They are always satisfied with the best."

He explains that hypergamy does not negate monogamy because, while women might be into only one alpha bloke at a time, when another alpha male comes along and topples the position of the first, well, you get the picture. "As a result, women are the first to want in to a monogamous relationship, and the first to want out."
When I carried out an unofficial poll on the subject, the sentiment didn't exactly mirror Devlin's theories, and the results were a very mixed bag.

While Max claimed monogamy "has been born of thousands of years of experience", Cameron retorted with, "Hell no, that's like eating pumpkin soup for the rest of your life, and who seriously could handle that!"
Wendy claimed, "If the love is real and both keep working at making it interesting and have good communication, then it can work." But she also admitted that you have to "really love a person and not want anyone else".

Graham said, "People who refuse to be monogamous are too selfish to ever have fulfilling long-term relationships."

And Georgia concluded: "It's not for assholes or sex addicts."
Which brings me to my next point: are the famous and powerful different from the rest of us? Is monogamy more difficult when temptation is everywhere and hormones are surging through your veins faster than a Roger Federer forehand? Of course, with the latest spate of tawdry affairs, crude text messages (written to women who are not their wives) and raunchy pictures being leaked (of people other than their wives), it would seem that, indeed, people in the spotlight find the whole notion of monogamy extremely difficult.

Take the conversation I had the other day with a personality who regaled us with her adventures of dating a sports star.

"We'd sit at the bar and hordes of these scantily dressed women would come up to him and whisper things in his ear or start rubbing his shoulder. And I couldn't even get angry at him because it was the women who were the problem, not him!"

When I asked her if she thought he ever cheated on her, she replied, "Oh absolutely. There's no doubt they do it because who in their right mind could resist all that temptation?"

In keeping with her observation, a recent story for CNN News had a similar conclusion, and, in jest, urged couples to change their vows to something more along the lines of this:

"Till a tempting new partner do us part."


2 comments:

  1. At the end of this story, it makes me sad and a little upset because although it is true for most men, it is not true with all. It's the men who give in to a scantilly clad woman because they don't think they'll get caught and they'll have fun in the process, that make others look bad. It's like people like me who has never cheated on the woman I was with because I believe in a monogamous relationship. I must be the minority. I have to fight to prove my love because of all the cheating men in this world. They give a bad name to people like me who wants to be with the one I'm with, not someone else. I have always had an adage I live by. "If you want to cheat on your wife/gf men, be sure the one you are cheating with is better than who you have waiting for you at home, because you may just end up with her. Think men. Do you think women are that stupid to think you can get away with cheating. If you want others, why are you steady or married with the lady at your home? Be sensible. Stop acting like an asshole. I hope when you are caught at your indiscretions, that she will take you for everything possible. You deserve it. Give me back my good name. I'm not in your stupid senseless life and I never want to be. I like who I am. I have nothing to hide from the lady I am with. When I am with her, I am with her and I am true to her - 100% and then some. I don't like wearing a label of disgrace because you jerks can't keep it in your pants. Enough said.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete